Safe Food Handling Program
Program Goals: Our Safe Food Handling Program helps to ensure that employees and volunteers at food banks across the country are taking appropriate steps to safely handle the food provided through their programs.
Developed with input from the food banking sector, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, and the agri-food industry, the program provides education and resources to food banks across the country.
Support: As part of the program, we have created a comprehensive set of materials, available to our membership, at no cost through this site. These resources assist with needs assessment and personnel training, and include:
- a set of safe food handling standards, with detailed instructions on best practices in receiving, handling, and storing food, including cleanliness and pest control, equipment, and environmental controls and training
- a series of facility posters providing clear, graphic instructions for food bank personnel,a series of stick on decals that can be affixed to walls, doors and areas where quick reference to safe food handling fact is necessary
- a set of fact sheets on food safety issues
- a self-assessment questionnaire to help identify gaps and areas for improvement
- an intake form for receiving donations
How to participate: Contact your Provincial Association and express your interest in a Safe Food Handling Course. An online e-learning version of the course will be available in the fall of 2012.
For more information, please contact Marzena Gersho, Director Communication and National Programs at: 1-877-535-0958 x 228.
This program is made possible with the support of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.