Retail Food Program
Program Goals: The Retail Food Program is a food donation pick-up program arranged with major national retailers. The program provides Members and Affiliate Member food banks with access to safe, quality food that is surplus at the store. Food banks are matched with a retailer’s store for ongoing pick-up of food and consumer products. Food products include non-perishable and perishable items like fresh and frozen foods.
Support: The Retail Food Program allows Members and Affiliate Member food banks to:
- Distribute more food and consumer products to existing food bank clients.
- Distribute a greater variety and/or improved quality of food to those in need (e.g. increased fresh, frozen).
- Build strong relationships with local retailers.
Why should retailers participate?
- Achieve your Corporate Social Responsibility objectives by:
- helping Canadians who are hungry
- contributing to and building relationships in your local community
- Achieve your environmental goals by reducing your landfill waste and cutting your carbon footprint.
How to participate: Contact Jennifer Beech, Program Coordinator, at 1-877-535-0958 x227.
To learn more about large scale industry donations, read more about our National Food Sharing System.
To learn more about how food banks take appropriate steps to safely handle the food provided through this program, read more about our Safe Food Handling Program.